This artwork went through an “ugly duckling” stage where I thought I had messed it up so badly that I almost threw it away.
After a little nurturing, it turned into one of my absolute favorites!
I do not have a pic of the bottommost layer — just the texture with no paint.
But here is what it first looked like, with its first coat of paint on top of texture:
And the next layer:
And finally emerging out of its ugly duckling phase, into something a little more presentable:
Now I added some crosses using glass bead gel — one of three projects that got this treatment on the same day:
Dried and painted again, I also added a purple fleur-de-lis:
But I didn’t actually REALLY like this piece until I accented the fleur-de-lis with a Stabilo Marks-all black pencil, to make it POP.
Check out the difference: (click to view larger)
A nice protective coat of varnish, and it was ready for its public debut:
I really like it against the pink background:
This unique, one-of-a-kind artwork is for sale on Etsy!
Here’s the rather lengthy slideshow with extra pics: